BRATTLEBORO-Friends of Island Park presents the Riverfront Connections: Art Show and Historical Retrospective at the Latchis Gallery, 50 Main St., on view until Sunday, Sept. 13, with a reception during Gallery Walk on Friday, Sept. 4, from 5 to 8 p.m.
The exhibition celebrates and draws attention to the history as well as the current state of affairs of Island Park, which stands between two bridges spanning the Connecticut River at the south end of downtown Brattleboro.
The works of artists that have been inspired by the beauty of the river, bridge, and island as one crosses the railroad tracks and heads toward New Hampshire from Vermont offer different perspectives on this setting at the base of Wantastiquet Mountain.
Included in the show are historical documents and photos pertaining to the island and bridge shared from the collection of the Brattleboro Historical Society. Featured in the exhibition is a four-panel mural celebrating the history of the circus on the island.
It was recently designed and painted by Cynthia Parker-Houghton with the help of Brattleboro-West Arts members and can be seen in the Latchis Gallery. Its next destination will be an installation near the Anna Hunt Marsh Bridge.
Artists represented in the exhibition are: Lewis Bryden, Christine Copeland, Ralph DeAnna, John Dimick, Betsy Hall, John Hooper, Cynthia Houghton/Natalie Blake Studios, Kerry Ann Kazokas, Naomi Lindenfeld, Steve Lloyd, Stacy Morse, Tina Olsen, Walter Slowinski, Erin Weaver, Marc Winnat and Cai Xi. Some of the works are for sale.
Historically, the island in the Connecticut River was used for many activities including ball games, musical events, and circus performances. Prior to the 19th century, it was inhabited by the Indigenous people of this area. The Vernon dam was erected in 1909, flooding most of the Island and reducing its area from 22 acres to 7 acres. The Anna Hunt Marsh and Charles Dana Bridges were erected in 1920 and 1927, respectively, and provided a direct route to travel between Brattleboro and Hinsdale, New Hampshire.
During the 30-year planning phase for the John Stark Bridge, which has now replaced the aging steel Anna Hunt Marsh and Charles Dana bridges, an agreement was reached to rehabilitate the old bridges and maintain them for public non-motorized use.
The adjacent General John Stark Bridge was opened in December 2024. Excited about the possible new uses of the Island, in the spring of 2024 a community group of volunteers named Friends of Island Park was formed, and started to clean up trash from the island and to work to manage the invasive vegetation.
Their efforts have been halted since the Hinsdale Selectboard voiced staunch opposition to allowing public access to the island out of a concern that policing the Island placed an undue burden on the town of Hinsdale. The New Hampshire Department of Transportation erected gates topped with barbed wire in September 2025 to prevent access to the Island.
Currently, a working group of members from the Hinsdale and Brattleboro Selectboards is determining a way forward that respects the concerns of both towns and honors the decades long agreement to open the Island for public non-motorized use.
Unable to work directly on stewardship of the island, the Friends of Island Park have been putting effort into enhancing and celebrating the natural beauty and history of the island and surrounding area.
The location is a nexus of two towns and two states, said organizers in a news release, “connecting the Connecticut and West Rivers, Mt. Wantastiquet trails, the Whetstone Walkway, West River Trail, and the Fort Hill Trail, serving as a connector for walkers, hikers, bike riders, skateboarders, anglers, boaters, schoolchildren, and visitors to the area.”
The group hopes that the Latchis exhibition will bring a greater appreciation and awareness to this greenway and the group’s mission to work cooperatively with officials in New Hampshire and Vermont to transform this space into a thriving, car-free amenity that enriches lives through diverse recreational activities, natural beauty, and community events.
The Riverfront Connections Art Show and Historical Retrospective can be seen Fridays 5 to 7 p.m., or by chance or appointment. To receive updates regarding improving riverfront connections, the twin bridges, and Island greenway, email friendsofislandparkvt@gmail.com and visit friendsofislandpark.com.
This Arts item was submitted to The Commons.